Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The "After" Pictures - November 9 - 12, 2007

We went out to the house Friday night after work to see if Paul the Floor Refinisher had done anything to the floors, and the only word I could mutter when we opened the front door was "wow".

He had gotten out to the house Friday at some point, and sanded the paint off of the floors and put on the first coat of whatever it is they put on. Stain? Lacquer? I'm not sure, but it smelled the same way it did when Norm the Painter was lacquering the wood in the house. I couldn't believe how good it looked. What a difference from the day before when the lines were still on it. It looks so good. Ryan wanted to get a closer look, so he took a 2x10 out to the back of the house and walked up in and opened the kitchen door with the key...it was a little hard to turn, but it opened the door. We didn't want to walk on the floor yet, so we couldn't just walk in the garage door or the front door. He got a few pictures of the living room floor as well as better shots of the dining room floor and the hallway.

The garage door was also installed on Friday at some point. The picture I took didn't really turn out all that well. I guess that's what you get when you take the picture in the dark from inside the car. We went home after that to get ready for the work that we were planning to do on Saturday at the house.

Saturday morning we got to the house at 10:00, and Paul the Floor Refinisher had already been and gone. He put the next coat of whatever on the floor. He must have started pretty early, or else he's just that efficient.

Ryan had a hair appointment at 12:00 in Lorette, so we started to spread the straw out onto the septic field to keep it from freezing in the winter. It was pretty windy, so some of the straw was blowing as we were putting it down, but it wasn't that big a deal. Ryan left for his hair appointment and I continued on spreading the straw. We had also planned to install the satellite dish on the roof and put up the Christmas lights. When Ryan got back, I had all but two bales spread out, so Ryan finished those off while I cleaned up the ties from the bales. Ryan then started to work on the satellite dish stuff, while I started on the Christmas lights.

Ryan soon realized that he needed a few more screws, so I had to run to Lorette to pick some up from the hardware store. I decided that I was going to go and get some lunch to bring back with us. I ended up going to Chicken Chef and getting chicken burgers and fries. Before I left, I asked the girl if there was ketchup and stuff in the bag, and she said yes.

When I got back to the house, Ryan was on the ladder at the roof, working on bolting down some boards to mount the satellite arms on. He came down off the ladder and we had lunch. I opened up the bag, pulled out the chicken burgers and fries, and surprise, surprise, there was no ketchup. I was so mad!! Ryan's asked why I didn't check when I was there, and I told him that it would have looked rude if she had just said yes, and I opened up the bag to check. I'll definitely do that from now on if we ever order from there again. I was not happy. But then I remembered that there was ketchup in one of the cupboards in the kitchen from when we had installed the floors. Ryan decided that he would go and get the ketchup, using the 2x10 and using the kitchen door (since we still didn't want to walk on the floor, since it was so recently done). It was taking him a while, but I could hear him at the kitchen door, and asked if he needed help. He said that the key was stuck, and that he couldn't turn it or get it out. He came back into the house through the garage and I decided that I would go and try it. I tried to get up to the door, but I couldn't. After about 10 minutes, Ryan came out and asked what I was still doing, and he said that I should just forget about the ketchup and that we'd have to walk into the kitchen to get the key out.

Being me, I decided that I didn't want to wait until later to get the key and ketchup, so I tip-toed across the hallway to get the ketchup...and went back to the mudroom where we were eating. Ryan THEN asked me if I got the key. I asked him why he waited until I was already back to ask...I tip-toed across again, and tried to get the key out of the door, and couldn't. It was really stuck. Then I heard Ryan calling from the mud room, saying "This is the ketchup that we had to have!? There's only three packages!!". LOL. All of that work for just three ketchup packets. I gave up on the key stuck in the door, and went and finished lunch.

After lunch, I had to take the whole deadbolt off of the door, and really force the key to turn. I guess we know that we won't be using the key for that door anymore. Ryan went back to his satellite dish and I continued to put up the Christmas lights. I then put up the driveway reflecters, to hopefully stop people from driving off the driveway in the winter. Ryan soon realized that he also didn't buy enough coax cable, so we would have to buy more and come back again on Sunday. We didn't end up leaving the house until about 6:15, so it was a pretty long day already, and we were going bowling with some friends for Glen's birthday, and then to Boston Pizza afterwards for drinks.

On Sunday, we got to the house again at around 10:00, and Paul the Floor Refinisher was no where to be found, and no other work had been done, so we assumed that he was finished the floors. We got to work right away, and of course it was raining and windy, and Ryan was working outside. My job was to vacuum the kitchen floor and the mudroom floor, lay down some of the extra kitchen floor so that when people entered the house during the week, they wouldn't be walking on the floors, and to make signs telling anyone who was entering that they had to take their shoes off before hand and stick to the matting and cardboard that I had put down. We did all of that and then headed out to Mom & Dad's for the rest of the day.

On Monday both of us had the day off, so we celebrated our 2nd anniversary by doing nothing...I made 9 batches of Butterscotch Confetti (the peanut butter, marshmallow, butterscotch bar) for a baking day that a bunch of us girls are having, and that was about all I did. Ryan went outside for a bit and put up driveway reflecters down his mom's driveway, and that was about all he did.

After they were done work, Mom & Dad called us and we went and met them at the house, since they had yet to see the floor when it was finished. Ryan's mom came with us too. As soon as we got to the house, we realized that most of the straw that we had worked so hard to spread out on Saturday had blown almost completely off of the septic field. There was still some left on the field, but there was also quite a bit in front of the garage, and in the weeds at the front of the driveway. We decided that we'd go home and then come back with some snow fence to lay overtop of the straw that was still there, and then try to pick up as much as we could and put it where it belonged. We also brought over some patio stones to make the first step onto the porch not as high, and brought the cooktop so that they can install it once the counter tops are in.

We are pretty sure now, after speaking with the builder (who is still in New York), that we will be moving in on November 23rd. I don't care what's done and what's not done, we're moving. We've been lucky so far with no snow...maybe it'll hold off until we've moved everything to the house...wishful thinking, I know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should slap some green on that house and you'd have yourself a Packers Home

The Schultz's said...

Don't give Ryan any ideas! If the Packers make it to the Superbowl, I'll let him paint a big "G" on the garage door.