Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Monday, June 11, 2007

Every time we drive out to the land, we take Hwy #1, and I always try to see if I can see our house from the highway. We can always see the neighbour's house that is being built, but I can never see ours. Monday night on the way to the house, I was looking extra carefully (and driving...probably not the safest thing to be doing on a busy highway) to see if I could see our house...and I was convinced that I had seen it. Which got my hopes up that they had done some major work on the framing. I sped up a bit (as if getting there faster would make a difference to the work that was done) and turned off the highway onto our road, and started screeching. If you watch "So You Think You Can Dance", then you know how Mary Murphy screams when she finds a dancer that she likes. Anyways, that's what I was doing, and Ryan was about ready to jump out of the car while it was still moving.
I was screeching because I saw this:
I was SOOOOO excited!! I think Ryan's ears are STILL ringing. We talked to the framer since he was there, and he was saying that they were working on a couple other places that they were behind on as well. When he left, we went inside our house with the new walls and looked around.


We were a little bit confused when we looked at the highest part of the wall that they had built (above), because it didn't really match the plans that we were given. We figured maybe we were just looking at it wrong, but it was still bothering us that it was so high, and the plans we had didn't show it that way at all. I had also noticed that in the "breakfast nook", the door was where the window was supposed to be, and the window was where the door was supposed to be. I was certain that they were backwards, and sure enough, when we checked the plans when we got home, I was right. We showed my mom and dad the pictures this morning, and they thought it was kind of odd too, compared to the plans.

When we got to work this morning, Ryan called Lyle and asked him about both the height of the walls over the front entrance, and the window and door in the "breakfast nook". Lyle said that because they don't know the angle of the trusses until they get them, the framer built the walls higher, and then once the trusses arrive, they will cut the wall back to the appropriate height. As for the window, he figured that the framer put it in the way he did because on the plans, Lyle said he wasn't very clear. He said he would check to see if having the door on that side would interfere with the kitchen window opening, and if it didn't, he would leave it there (at our request - I think it makes sense to have the door on that side...we'll see if I'm right...). After lunch, Ryan got a call from Lyle again, who was onsite at that point, and said that the framer did actually frame the front wrong, so he's going to be fixing it today. So that's a good thing, that he went out even after he told us what he figured the situation was, and called us to let us know that his first thoughts were off, and that there was a mistake made.

Anyway, now I can't wait to get out there tonight to see what everything looks like...the way it should be. Ryan said something about them not working on the second floor walls until the trusses arrive...there might be more dissappointment tonight...but it'll be worth the drive.

Keep checking back...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How exciting...I can't wait to lay waste to your plumbing!!!! Schultz, I gonna need a few Uncle Johns for what I'm saving up!!